Los Angeles Anesthesia Malpractice Attorney
Anesthesia malpractice claims account for a large number of medical malpractice cases in California. Claims arising from anesthesia mistakes are devastating, often resulting in permanent injury, profound brain damage or death. Demonstrating the negligence of the anesthesiologist or anesthesia staff is also among the most difficult since the plaintiff is often unconscious or sedated, and scant and unreliable records are often the only source of information.
At The Law Offices of Gerald Sugarman, MD, JD, we have years of experience in the medical and legal fields that will allow us to prepare a comprehensive medical malpractice case on your behalf.
Hire a Lawyer Who Also Has a Medical Degree | Free Initial Consultation
Call 800-657-1165 or 805-473-4739 | E-mail | Contingency Fee Only
While anesthesia injuries are most often thought of as occurring in the hospital operating room, they can occur in a wide variety of settings, including the pre-operative and recovery rooms, any procedure room, during labor and delivery, during sedation for dental procedures, and during a wide variety of out-patient medical procedures in surgical clinics and doctor's offices.
California medical malpractice attorney and physician, Gerald Sugarman, works with clients facing a variety of medical malpractice issues, including all injuries stemming from anesthesia errors:
- Anesthesia overdose
- Failure to maintain airway
- Failure to maintain blood pressure
- Failure to maintain circulation
- Failure to monitor or maintain saline or fluid levels
- Failure to administer blood products or colloids
- Failure to determine allergies
- Failure to intubate or intubate correctly
- Failure to intubate in the correct place
- Failure of correct positioning of patient
- Failure to maintain oxygen level
- Failure to prevent hypoxia
- Failure to maintain hydration
- Failure to diagnose low blood pressure
- Failure to prevent hypotension
- Failure to prevent hypovolemia
- Failure to prevent shock
- Failure to prevent clotting factors
- Failure in calculations
- Failure to prevent foreign bodies in airway
- Failure to correct or prevent airway obstruction
- Failure in preventing fluid overload
Anesthesia Errors Are Not Limited to Anesthesiologists
Anesthesia malpractice claims are hardly limited to anesthesiologists, as a great many medical practitioners administer sedatives and anesthetics. Proper specialty training and certification is one way to reduce the risk to the patient. It is likely that the seriousness and rate of complication increases significantly outside of the setting of the anesthesiologist in the operating room. Extremely severe complications and death may occur in dental offices and in the cosmetic surgery clinics during procedures under general anesthesia, where trained anesthesia staff is absent. Potential defendants include anesthesiologists, nurses, nurse anesthetists, fellows and residents in training, surgeons, other doctors and dentists.
Call a Medically Trained Lawyer for Your Free Consultation
Call 805-473-4739 or 800-657-1165 or e-mail us for more information about how physician and attorney Gerald Sugarman can help you. Please note, we only take on substantial injury cases that result in permanent injury. The statutes of limitations for these kinds of lawsuits are one year from the date of the incident for adults injured and eight years for a newborn.
For more information:
- See the website for the American Society of Anesthesiologists at www.asahq.org
- Searching MEDLINE/PubMed can be found at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi