Was Your Baby Seriously Injured During the Birthing Process?
Call a Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Lawyer and Physician for Answers
Childbirth is an amazing, complicated and wondrous process. However, the health and welfare of a birthing mother and child are vulnerable during the labor and delivery of her newborn. The situation calls for vigilance by medical professionals during childbirth.
When labor and delivery mistakes cause significant injury to the newborn or to the mother, The Law Office of Gerald Sugarman, MD, JD, is here to help you hold those responsible and, accountable. Please note, we only take on substantial injury cases that result in permanent injury. The statutes of limitations for these kinds of lawsuits are one year from the date of the incident for mothers injured during delivery and eight years for a newborn.
A Doctor Who Is Also a Lawyer, On Your Side When It Matters | Free Initial Consultation
Call 800-657-1165 or 805-473-4739 | E-mail | Contingency Fee Only
Brain Injury Causes
Conditions that can increase the potential for birth injuries and doctor mistakes include:
- Carrying a large baby
- Going through a lengthy labor, especially a long second stage
- Experiencing a difficult labor, using forceps or a vacuum extractor
- Dealing with a breech birth
Birth injury or physical impairment have different causes, such as strained or torn nerves, lack of fetal monitoring in difficult labors, trauma to the head or lack of oxygen. It takes a lawyer who understands medical terminology and the birthing process to fully investigate such claims on your behalf.
Experienced in Handling Medical Malpractice Matters Resulting From Birth Mistakes
As both an attorney and medical doctor with a fellowship in pediatric neurology and a master's degree in biochemistry, Gerald Sugarman is uniquely equipped to handle legal matters involving a birth injury. Our firm has considerable experience obtaining compensation for children who are now living with the following conditions due to medical malpractice:
- Cerebral palsy: Lack of air (lack of oxygen — or anoxia, or hypoxia) during the birthing process can result in serious brain injury in the newborn. Traumatic brain injury or brain damage may not be immediately apparent after birth.
- Shoulder dystocia and Erb's palsy: When undue pressure is placed on the newborn during delivery, the result can be a shoulder dislocation known as shoulder dystocia, or it can result in paralysis or other severe injuries.
- Bilirubin causing brain injury (Kernicterus): When post-natal care does not properly diagnose and treat jaundice (yellow baby) in infants, the newborn can suffer serious brain injury and loss of hearing or developmental delay.
Gerald Sugarman has considerable experience handling cases where the injury to a newborn results in the child needing extensive, long term care.
Call an Experienced California Birth Injuries Lawyer
Did your newborn or your child suffer a serious injury at birth? Do you suspect medical malpractice? California attorney Dr. Gerald Sugarman can help discern whether you have reason to file a birth injury medical malpractice case against the doctor, nurse, hospital or emergency room that caused the injury to your child. We offer free initial consultations and represent clients on a contingency fee basis.
Call 805-473-4739 or 800-657-1165 or e-mail us for more information.